Monday, July 18, 2011

"And in the end the love you make is equal to the love you take."

Tomorrow I will leave Vietnam, the place I've called home for he last eleven months. I feel like I should write a blog post before I leave, but truthfully I'm not quite sure what to talk about. I guess in these sorts of circumstances, it is easiest just to make a list of what I will and won't miss. 

What I Won't Miss:

Cockroaches in My Room.
Although honestly, by the end of my stay here I had become cool with the roaches. One night I woke up to see a roach chilling by my bed. I was about to kill it, and then shrugged it off. It's just a bug. Besides, by this point I've eaten grasshoppers so hanging out with another type of bug is no big deal. So I guess scratch out "cockroaches" and put in "rats".  Because, I'm not cool with rats yet.

Cool Young Moto Dudes.
These are the young motorbike drivers who never wear helmets, speed through traffic lights, and hold down their horns. Suffice to say, they irk me quite a bit. That being said, one time a cool young moto dude rode past me super fast. I automatically started getting angry until I realized that the guy was actually a good friend of mine. Life is different on the road.

Not Understanding Anything.
This is a double-edged sword. Sometimes it's cool not to understand anything because then you don't have to listen to other nearby people's conversation. But other times, it is of course very frustrating.

Riding Motorbikes:
Sometimes. Riding motorbikes can be great but sometimes when it's raining or cold, I wish I could take another mode of transportation. (OK, I could. But I'd rather not take the #3 bus to work)

Things I Will Miss:

The Food.
There is a great variety of awesome food in Vietnam. From pho to bun, nem to nem chua, thit cho to thit ran. I hope to try and make some Vietnamese food back in the states but I have a feeling I'm not going to be able to eat dog for awhile.

The Places:
Hanoi is great for a while. But there are tons of other great areas around Vietnam. Probably my favorite place to visit is still Cao Bang.

Riding Motorbikes:
Can be great fun a lot of the time.

Karaoke/Bia Hoi/Street Stalls/Cafes

Lots of Other Things I Can't Think of Right Now

And of course...

The People:
I can not even begin to touch on all the great experiences I've had with all the wonderful people I've met here in Vietnam. So I'll just leave you with a short video. Thank you to everyone who has supported me this last year. I hope to see you back in the states. And to everyone in Vietnam, thank you and I hope to see you in the future. Hen gap lai.

No comments:

Post a Comment